If you’ve ever been uncertain about what to do about the chronic achievement gap between Black males and other student populations, this ASCD best-selling book will forever change your approach to these students and equip you with a whole new plan for motivating Black males to achieve in school and in life. Award-winning educator and author Baruti K. Kafele draws from his 20 years of experience in teaching Black males and turning around troubled urban schools to explain
- Why the challenges of educating Black male students are different from educating other student populations.
- What all Black male students need in their classroom experiences.
- How to assess your own attitudes and abilities to educate Black males.
- Which major problems outside of school could change the way you teach Black males.
- How to address the root causes of Black male self-identity.
- Why and how to develop a young men’s empowerment program.
Understand why lack of proficiency in reading, writing, and math among Black males is a symptom of deeper problems that are generally ignored. And discover solutions that you can put into your daily practice right away to improve the performance of Black male students.